Wednesday 22 June 2011

Even when it rains, style reigns at Royal Ascot

The rain never seems to be too far away when there’s a big British sporting event happening (just ask fans of Wimbledon and Cricket) however thankfully it seemed many ladies still went for it on Ladies Day at Ascot despite the rain and had glamorous and bazaar hats, umbrellas and wellies to protect them from the miserable weather conditions.

Although I really enjoy the races and the obligatory several race forecast bet, what I really look forward to is seeing the latest millinery creations for their quirky designs and bright colours.  As my millery course at the London College of Fashion taught me how difficult it is to construct asymetrical hats (one of my passions), I've always admired how such a reknown name as Philip Tracey creates these fabulous sweeping shapes. 













I love the bright red colour of this hat and the contrasts of shapes and textures.  Welsh singing superstar Katherine Jenkins shows off Philip Treacy's design.

Now when it comes to colour, acqua  is really in this year, and I couldn't resist this stunning dress and hat combo below.....  umm just makes me want to jump into a pool somewhere hot in Europe!


 



Quirky - definitely!








Either side are some great examples of this year’s outlandish hat designs.... with the right being the least tasteful, no pun meant!



Whilst this imaginative hat on the right was made to pay tribute to Queen Anne, who officially opened the races at Ascot in 1711.  Worn by presenter Anneka Tanaka-Svenska, it is made from fake hair pearls and cabbages and roses made from silk.... I hope it survived the rain!

Lets hope that the rain stops in time so that we can all enjoy Murray playing in the final at Wimbledon!

No comments:

Post a Comment